Today is Carl Sagan's birthday; he would have been 78. Sagan found magic in every aspect of the Universe.
"It is sometimes said that scientists are unromantic, that their passion to figure out robs the world of beauty and mystery. But is it not stirring to understand how the world actually works…?"
In honor of Sagan, and of that notion, here are some amazing ways we are discovering how the world works.
- The story of the world in one minute. [VIDEO]
- You'll never look at bats the same way after seeing this stunning picture of their embryos.
- It's official, ladybugs should be reclassified as transformers. [VIDEO]
- For the first time, mathematicians have managed to accurately model snowflake formation.
- Cells in migrating fish discovered to move in response to Earth's magnetic field.
- A crocodile's FACE is more sensitive than your finger tips. ITS FACE!
- Why children hide by covering their eyes. Fascinating read.
- Even gorillas are fascinated by the life around them. [VIDEO]
- Lastly, if you are up for it, here's a long read from Edge in which scientists, philosophers, artists, and journalists (to name just a few) answer the question: What is your favorite deep, elegant, or beautiful explanation?
Enjoy the geek and enjoy your weekend.